Scientists at Cornell University, Purdue University and Case Western Reserve University have created a new 3D printing material whose design is inspired by human bones. The research team said that bones and 3D printed buildings have some things in common. They have columns and beams inside, which determine their service life.
The research team said that by simulating how human bones deal with lifelong wear and tear, they can come up with 3D printed lightweight materials. The service life of this material is long enough to be more practically used in buildings, airplanes and other structures. The research team found that by simulating human bone-related mechanisms, the lifespan of man-made materials may be extended by 100 times.
Scientists said that the bone is a building, its columns carry most of the load, and beams are used to connect these columns. The durability of bone comes from a spongy structure called trabeculae. This is a network of interconnected vertical plate-like support rods and horizontal rod-like support rods, which act as columns and beams. The denser the trabeculae, the more elastic the bones during daily activities.
The research team found that in the bones, seemingly insignificant horizontal struts increase the fatigue life of the bones. The research team determined that the role of horizontal pillars in human bones may be more important than previously thought, so they designed a 3D printed polymer with a trabecular structure that can make the 3D printed building stronger. Tests have shown that applying a load to this 3D printed polymer confirms that the thicker the horizontal pillars, the longer the polymer will bear the load. Thicker pillars did not significantly increase the quality of the polymer, which led the research team to believe that this design would help make lighter, more resilient materials.
Commonly used 3D printing materials are:
Engineering plastics refer to industrial plastics used as industrial parts or housing materials. They are plastics with excellent strength, impact resistance, heat resistance, hardness and aging resistance.
● PC material is a real thermoplastic material with all the characteristics of engineering plastics. High strength, high temperature resistance, impact resistance, bending resistance, can be used as final parts, used in transportation and household appliances industries.
● PC-ISO material is a kind of thermoplastic material that has passed the medical and health certification. It is widely used in the pharmaceutical and medical equipment industry. It can be used in surgical simulation, skull restoration, dentistry and other professional fields.
● PC-ABS material is one of the most widely used thermoplastic engineering plastics, used in automobiles, home appliances and communications industries. The photosensitive resin is the UV resin, which is composed of polymer monomers and prepolymers, in which a light (ultraviolet light) initiator (or called a photosensitizer) is added. Under the irradiation of a certain wavelength of ultraviolet light (250-300 nanometers), the polymerization reaction is immediately caused to complete the curing. Generally liquid, it is generally used to make high-strength, high-temperature resistant, waterproof and other materials.
The photosensitive resin is the UV resin, which is composed of polymer monomers and prepolymers, in which a light (ultraviolet light) initiator (or called a photosensitizer) is added. Under the irradiation of a certain wavelength of ultraviolet light (250-300 nanometers), the polymerization reaction is immediately caused to complete the curing. Generally liquid, it is generally used to make high-strength, high-temperature resistant, waterproof and other materials.
● Somos 19120 is made of pink material, special casting material. After molding, it directly replaces the wax film prototype of precision casting to avoid the risk of mold opening and greatly shorten the cycle. It has the characteristics of low ash retention and high precision.
● Somos 11122 material is translucent material, similar to ABS material. After polishing, an almost transparent artistic effect can be achieved. This kind of material is widely used in medical research, handicraft production and industrial design industries.
● Somos Next material is white material, similar to PC new material, the material has better toughness, better precision and surface quality, and the manufactured parts have the most advanced combination of rigidity and toughness.
Link to this article： Stronger 3D printing materials come out!
Reprint Statement: If there are no special instructions, all articles on this site are original. Please indicate the source for reprinting:https://www.cncmachiningptj.com