With the continuous advancement of science and technology, titanium alloys are more and more widely used in aviation, military, medical and other fields. As an important process for manufacturing titanium alloy products, titanium alloy investment casting is known as “the combination of arts and crafts and industrial civilization”. This article will give you an in-depth understanding of the principles, processes and advantages of titanium alloy investment casting, making you an expert in titanium alloy manufacturing.
The principle of titanium alloy investment casting
Titanium alloy investment casting, also known as “lost wax method” casting, its principle is to make a model from a fusible material (such as wax), coat the surface with a refractory coating to form a mold, and then melt the model by heating, and finally The molten titanium alloy is poured into the mold and cooled to form the desired product.
The main process of titanium alloy investment casting
- Melting: First, the titanium alloy raw materials (such as titanium wire, titanium plate, etc.) are melted to obtain liquid titanium alloy.
- Model making: Use fusible materials (such as wax) to make a model of the desired product.
- Hanging sand: wrap a layer of refractory sand on the surface of the model to form a mold.
- Baking: Bake the mold in the oven to fully dry the refractory sand.
- Melting: Heat the model in an oven to melt it into a liquid state.
- Pouring: Pour the liquid titanium alloy into the mold so that it fills the entire mold.
- Cooling: Wait for the liquid titanium alloy to cool and solidify to form the desired product.
- Sand removal: remove the refractory sand outside the mold to obtain the final product.
Advantages of titanium alloy investment casting
- High-precision: Due to the high-precision model making technology, the product has high dimensional accuracy and surface finish.
- Lightweight: Titanium alloy itself has the characteristics of light weight. Through investment casting process, more complex lightweight structural parts can be manufactured.
- Efficiency: Compared with traditional mechanical processing methods, titanium alloy investment casting can greatly shorten the production cycle and improve production efficiency.
- Environmental protection: In the whole production process, there is no need to use harmful solvents or chemical reagents, which is friendly to the environment.
- Wide range of applications: Titanium alloy investment casting products are widely used in aviation, military, medical and other fields, and have broad market prospects.
The development trend of titanium alloy investment casting
- Technological innovation: With the continuous advancement of science and technology, titanium alloy investment casting technology is also continuously innovating. For example, 3D printing technology has been applied in the process of model making to achieve higher precision product manufacturing.
- Green manufacturing: With the increasing awareness of environmental protection, green manufacturing has become the development trend of the industry. In the process of titanium alloy investment casting, the generation of hazardous waste should be minimized to realize the greening of the production process.
- Intelligent manufacturing: With the advent of the industry 4.0 era, intelligent manufacturing has become an important development direction of the manufacturing industry. In the titanium alloy investment casting process, the introduction of intelligent manufacturing technology to realize the automation and intelligence of the production process can improve production efficiency and quality.
- Composite materials: Combining various materials to form composite materials with excellent properties is an important development direction of titanium alloy investment casting products in the future. For example, compounding titanium alloys with other metals (such as aluminum, magnesium, etc.) can further improve the comprehensive performance of materials.
As an important manufacturing process, titanium alloy investment casting is more and more widely used in aviation, military, medical and other fields. With the continuous advancement of technology and the increasing awareness of environmental protection, in the future development, continuous technological innovation and green manufacturing are required to improve production efficiency and reduce costs; at the same time, it is also necessary to pay attention to changes in market demand and diversification of user needs, so as to To meet the needs of different fields; it is also necessary to focus on personnel training and technical training to improve the technical level and professional quality of the industry; finally, it is necessary to strengthen cooperation and exchanges within the industry to promote the common development and progress of the industry. Only in this way can titanium alloy investment casting play a more important role in the future development and make greater contributions to the development and progress of mankind.